1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Roadside tubed tyre repair.

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Dhan Rollioni, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

I have a old honda transalp which I use for touring and a bit of greenlaning. It has spoked wheels and tubed tyres.
    If I got a puncture far from home or a garage is it relatively easy to repair the puncture using tyre levers and puncture repair kit? Ive done it many time on my mountain bike soI assume its the same on the bike. Hopefully, tubed tyres are not as tight fit as tubeless tyres.

2. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Yes it's pretty straight forward, although not what I'd term as 'easy'. You'll be surprised how tight some beads can be, so add a tube of tyre lube to your kit. Inflating can be a pain in the arse, so a micro-compressor that connects to your battery is a great tool for your pack.

Have a look on You Tube as there are loads of tutorials there.

3. Dhan Rollioni

Will do, thanks for your input.

4. Dhan Rollioni

I've seen some puncture repair in a can for tubed tyres. Any good?

5. Finchy

Finchy Guest

The best repair is always to whip the wheel off and to pop a patch on the tube. Those repair cans are really only temporary solutions.

As a preventative, try putting this stuff in your tubes;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Punct...36?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4cfc882e24

I've used it for a while and it saved a lot of hassle recently in Spain when I hit a rock off road. Miles from any roads and I hit the rock hard enough to un-seat the tyre. Boll*cks. Was sure that I'd look down to see a flat tyre and although a tiny bit of the 'slime' had weeped from the tube, it maintained pressure. Rode on, 'bounced' the front a few times and the tyre seated itself again. I've also subsequently pulled thorns out of the tyre without any issues, so it really is good stuff (even if it is a bit of a hassle to get the gel into the tube).

6. Les

Les British Superbike +

I carried a spare tube & luckily never needed it but I agree with Finchy re tight beads, so bought some long levers.

7. Dhan Rollioni

Thanks for the info, really helps. How many levers do you recommend? Also if I get a puncture with the gel stuff in the tube, are you supposed to remove the pierced object from the tyre or not?

8. Les

Les British Superbike +

I needed 3 levers but was at home just changing a tyre, not 30c & cursing in the dust. Finchy will answer you better re removal of whatever caused it but I'd've thought removal would be better so the gel can work without being further disturbed.

9. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Yep, as Les says - you'll need three levers (at least). In fact, the more the merrier. Just make sure that you get good quality long ones. Do NOT try to 'go cheap' as believe me, they will bend... or knacker your rim. Also buy rim protector blocks. There's also a trick of using your side-stand as a bead-breaker, but I really wouldn't recommend this unless you really know what you're doing (again - see You Tube).

With regard to removing anything that has punctured the tube; if you use PunctureSafe, this is fine. In fact it's better to remove the object so that the 'gel' can fill the hole.

Dhan Rollioni likes this.
  10. Dhan Rollioni

that answers all my questions thank you so much.