1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Head Gasket Trouble :(

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Pink-Lady, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Pink-Lady

Pink-Lady Moped

Well the verdict from the garage is that the head gasket has gone on my bike :(

I have been quoted £500 all in, including 8 hours labour.

I'm not a happy bunny to say the least, but at least I know know the problem.

Next problem...... Can they get the part?? Not so easy when the bike is 23 years old :cry2:

2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

There'll be available, 400's are still a well used racing class. Should be in the region of £30 I'd guess.

Pricey for the job if you ask me, but the big jobs always are.

3. Pink-Lady

Pink-Lady Moped

The mechanic did say the part is not very expensive. Its his time that makes it expensive. There is quite a bit of work involved.

Wish I had the time and tools to do it myself.

Got to be worth doing though. I do enjoy riding her...... when she isnt overheating.

4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

It's not really a 'big' job.
    Drop the engine, pop the lid, reseat the valves, check nothing it wonky, lap the head, bolt up.
    Trouble is they'll probably not lap the head on site so you're paying while it's done.

It's fairly straight forward if you have the time to do it. Comes down to time vs. cost. Do you have £500 more than you have the time to do it, baring in mind you'll be slower than the garage. Plus if you're not totally confident the garage option comes with (hopefully) peace of mind.

deano81 likes this.
  5. Pink-Lady

Pink-Lady Moped

Exactly! I dont have the time. It will take me weeks of the odd hour here and there. And I am really not too confident with this job. I can do little bits, but not this.

Hopefully the garage can sort it, and I can get back on the road.

6. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

for less money you could most likey find a spare engine to drop in. :rolleyes:
    which could then give plenty of time to repair this one on the cheaper side :unsure:

7. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I was thinking second engine myself, but then the time factor to swap it over still comes into it and the chance that it might not be ok either.

8. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

buy one in a bike already :hah:
    if only money wasn't a bloody issue we would all have 3 bikes :skip: