1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

New edition to my 'Little' bike collection!

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Well.. i saw this for sale! it was running! i thought yeah what could go wrong! so i bought this midi moto just for a laugh as it fits in the back seats of the car and it was £70.. all it needed doing was new inner tubes and the electric start didnt work but the pull start did.. so i go to buy it with my mums boy friend thinking its the best idea we've ever had and go to see it and its starts first time no problems.. runs it for couple of miniutes and its all good.. get it back to mine and it runs fine, start it up the next day and it cuts out and wouldnt start again.. weird i thought..

so i thought it might be petrol.. nope wasnt that, Blocked fuel lines.. nopes wasnt that either, spark plug nope.. that sparked! so we start looking around for the problem..

Turns out the spark plug now isnt sparking.. so we hold it to the frame to see if it sparks (it was at first but now isnt, also there is still a charge in the battery as the horn still works) and now theres nothing but if i touch the frame with my hand it sparks.. well i get a shock from it.. does this mean its shorting out somewhere in the wiring or what? not got a bloody clue about engines! its a 2 stroke 50cc Beast? haha!

Heres a picture though me and mums boy friend thought we'd wind mum up and put it in the front room on the coffee table.. needless to say the reaction was so worth it!

[​IMG]

lammyR6 likes this.
  2. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

Have you been taking brave pills,

jack_bm and lammyR6 like this.
  3. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

haha must have taken something! dont think she's forgiven me yet, specially as it seems i might have wasted my money as cant get it to run properly haha just started it up again started first time no problem ran then gave it a few revs, picked it up at the back to let the wheel spin while i rev it and stopped reving it and it just kept on reving and letting the wheel spin.. Weirrrrrd oh and then wouldnt start again!

4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

That looks like the one from Battle. i thought about buying but not idea where i would use it.

5. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah that is the one from battle! and im just planning on chucking it in the back of the car and goin off with a few mates along some cycle paths, beach, fields that sorta place.. thats if i get her running properly haha

6. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

try a new spark plug ....sounds like that one may be breaking down under load after a short while. to confirm it ...start the bike (if it will) run it till it cuts out again , try the plug to the frame, if no spark remove plug cap and try high tension lead to the frame.

7. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Okay will try a new spark plug it gives a really good strong spark when you hold it to the frame.. got both the wheels off atm to get new valves put in to get some air in them so once they're back I'll run it like you said but what's a high tension lead?

8. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

HT lead (High tension) is the thick lead that goes to the spark plug mate.

9. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Ohh okay cheers fir that I had only ever heard it called a ht lead never knew what it stood for :)

10. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

the other thing you could look for is an engine earth strap to the frame i know a buddy that had a triumph bonnie and that had one that had corroded and left the bike dead so the frame is grounded but the engine isnt

jack_bm likes this.