1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tool Makes

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by NAPA121, Nov 13, 2013.

1. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

Guys,

I use Halfords Advanced professional tools (sockets, screwdrivers etc) as you get a life time guarantee with them and you don't have to pay through the nose getting Snapon (which undoubtedly seem to be the best quality wise).

What other makes are on par quality wise with Halford advanced professional?

There are socket sizes etc that Halfords professional don't do so I will need to buy another brands and I am wondering what brand to use. Snapon is just so expensive. Apparently they are meant to be the dogs danglies but I just find it so difficult to justify spending that sort of money.

Any advice as usual is appreciated.

Cheers
    Neil

2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

what sizes do Halfords not do? you looked on their web site.

3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Pretty much all brands offer a "pro" range these days, Draper, Teng, Sears (Craftsman), Silverline, Clarke etc. with a lifetime guarantee.
    Halfords are undoubtedly the most convenient should you need a replacement though.

That said I've never managed to break a socket myself, ratchet heads yeah but not a socket.

4. NAPA121

46mm...Could get 13/16 but wanted 46mm and halfords pro don't do that size (not that i can find anyway)

5. Les

Les British Superbike +

Facom? French...but still pretty good.

NAPA121 likes this.
  6. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Nearly all my tools are Sears or Draper. I have a few Halfords things and am happy to say I too have experienced no failures. And that's throughout a couple of car builds (one a Land Rover). Neither my son nor I are especially subtle or skilled weilders of precision tooling, so you should consider these makes pretty bullet-proof.

NAPA121 likes this.
  7. MaDProFF

46mm socket is pretty big, doubt you would break any make in that size, I bought an Elora (German) make, a while back, pretty substantial and was quite cheap. Strongest was I guess King Dick back in the day, Brittol still pretty good as is Stanley, but just get one off ebay / amazon

NAPA121 likes this.
  8. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

46mm is pretty big, I'm with Brett on that…unless you using other than man power…think it will be hard to damage.

NAPA121 likes this.
  9. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

I bought a 46mm from Halfrauds, have to get special sizes separately as don't want to buy a set just for the odd additional size

NAPA121 likes this.
  10. NAPA121

Really? I can't find one on their website and in store they said they didn't sell it? If you see it please let me know..Cheers mate

11. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

the one I got was an impact socket, though it was a while ago

NAPA121 likes this.
  12. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

I've got a real mixture in my toolbox, Halfords, Draper, Elora amongst others.
    Never had a problem with any of them. Just don't buy off a stall in a market!

NAPA121 likes this.
  13. MaDProFF

Hmm Napa is a Rather Round Fella, he might break it leaning on it, :)

NAPA121 likes this.
  14. NAPA121

Lol...F/O.. :htlr:It's not the weight that might break it but the speed at which is gets used as I am so fast...Being a squash player speed just seems to come naturally... :)

MaDProFF likes this.
  15. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

16. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

17. NAPA121

JimG - You're a legend..Thanks very much for sourcing this...I will order. Very helpful indeed...Coffee on me next time :cheers: