1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Pannel Question.. Possible Re Spray?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Right so finally got hold of an OEM Pannel which is in one piece, few scratches in it and not best condition not the worst by far though specially as they dont come up in my bike colour very often.

Now it had belly pan stickers on it and ive got my own ones that im going to be using so out came the hair dryer and the picking away of the old ones began.. leaving what i thought was just the glue residue.. think i may have fucked up a slight bit here as i think its removed the laquer coat that they stuck it to ( the stickers wasnt laquered) what do i do.. heres some pictures hopefully not to big, im assuming its going to be a re spray but then that brings it onto matching the colour, cost, quality of the finish etc..

If you see the K of the NGK i experimented with that one trying to get rid of the black around it to see if it was hideable or would clean up.. havent tried polishing it up but dont think it would work due to the fading.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

:rolleyes: try giving it a good clean with wd40 and seeing if that removes any of this.

You shouldn't need a full respray. sanding it down with a fine paper should just remove the laquer then you might just get away with re laquering it. All depends how good it needs to be. Skortchio will have you respraying the whole bike to get it prefect but then he will also get you to powder coat bits and pieces etc etc

Me well i'd just ride it. :ner:

3. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

i did have a quick go with WD40 when i took the stickers off ill work on the K again and see how it goes. yeah maybe just get the panel done? its got bits of scratches all over the bike where it must have been dropped or something but yeah haha dont want to do the whole bike just a pannel at the most

4. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

I doubt if this will help but when I was in the glass trade many years ago we used to remove slight scratches with very fine wire wool with glass cleaner so I wonder if lubricated with wd 40 would work on plastic? I have never tried it so don't hold me to it! The other thing we used to do for removing scratches in pvc window frames was very fine sand paper and Jif, worked a treat but did dullen the frame. Have you tried-cut?

jack_bm likes this.
  5. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

if you have no joy with the wd40 hit it with some fine wet/dry 1000/1500 grit should do and just slowly go over it.. if it goes away and you haven't taken away all the laquer, if that's what it is, then just use some polishing compound on a cloth to buff it back up

6. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

cover with duct tape then cable tie on
    patient tom black hornet;)

jack_bm and BlackHornet like this.
  7. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

I did try a little bit with WD40 and didnt really have any luck.. I'll give the fine sand papper a go on a small area and see how that works like sugested by you and deano.

Does anyone know a rough price for a little bit of filling and then for it to be painted but matched to the faded colour to match the other pannels just want the one side pannel doing if it doesnt work with sand papper

8. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

you could give my sprayer Gareth a call on 0 seven seven nine five 2 1 seven six 2 1
    he would be able to give you some idea

9. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Cheers for the number I didn't get to have a go with it yesterday but got some wet n dry paper so will give it a go maybe tonight if I get time will post on here how it goes :)

10. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

to find out if its lifted the lacquer take at it with t cut or similar rubbing compound...if you find the paint colour appearing on the cloth then obviously the lacquer has gone if not then your cutting lacquer. either way as mentioned take to it with something like 1200 wet and dry , lightly and methodically ...do not try to rush it by going at it hard and fast or you'll find yourself down to primer in no time. you should then once and if the marks remove clean the area with paint prep wipes to remove all the dust and residue you've created and then lightly clear coat. chances are though your going to reveal the true colour of faded paint where youve sanded which may leave it looking patchy ...if your a slight perfectionist then you need a full panel spray and if your totally anal ...start stripping the bike and saving your pennies for a full respray.

jack_bm, deano81 and BlackHornet like this.
  11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Didn't hear you complaining about the re-spray :p
    I wouldn't ever suggest more than required for a paint / styling job, depends on your goals.

Is that paint pearlescent or is it dust in the pics? Pearls are hard to match if you have to resort to re-spraying, often it's less ball-ache to do a whole panel rather than waste time blending.
    If they're original decals they'll have either been lacquered over or the adhesive has eaten into the lacquer beneath, as suggested some 1500-1000 grit wet & dry will fix it.
    Use LOTS of water with a tiny amount of washing up liquid to limit clogging on the paper and wrap the w&d around a pencil eraser if you don't have a rubbing block to ensure an even pressure.
    Moderate pressure is enough, let the grit do the work. You'll not go suddenly remove all the paint with 1200+ unless you're remarkably careless.

deano81 and BlackHornet like this.
  12. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Well still havent had time to have a go at this im hoping for sunday unless it turns out to be a really nice day and i can get on the bike and start wearing the tyres in!

and pearlescent is were it changes colours in different sunlight right? sorry i know next to nothing about paint but if thats what pearescent is then no its not its dust :D haha yeah i'll be happy to get the whole pannel re sprayed just rather not the whole bike! they're not OEM stickers theyre just belly pan ones that i belive to has taken the lacquer up as well as the sticker.. cheers for the tip about washing up liquid and the eraser :)

13. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Right had a little go with the wet n dry and I managed to get rid of the laquer where it has dirt built up etc and make it smooth to it again but unfortunatelywere the colour faded you can still see were the sticker was so not sire what to do now thinking of getting just that one side pannel sprayed I'll Gove the sprayer that was sidgested a phonecall tomorrow n see what's said unless anyone has any other ideas

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

You could have a go at evening the colour out, if you're considering a re-spray anyway. Make a couple of passes with the wet and dry in a larger area around the sticker point, then use some polish ideally with a powered mop to bring the shine up.
    If you weren't 70miles away I'd say drop it over and I'll have a bash at it.

15. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

You can try colour restoring polishes, the first few i brought were amazing, more recent ones haven't been so good but still worth a try.

16. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

I dont have a powered mop but ill give it a try by hand?? if this doesnt work were do you recommend getting it done as it does need a bit of filling over a slightly deep gouge as well if it does get sprayed