1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Well Worth A Read

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by MaDProFF, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

I have been a user of higher octant fuel for quite a few years in all my vehicles, including bikes now, the Magazine SEC magazine has a good article from page 4-8 I think regarding fuel today, and the pitfalls of leaving fuel for a period of time in a tank. (Track day bikers take note :)

I know there is an extra cost for higher octane, but it does run so much cleaner, can only be far better for an engine over the long term, slightly better fuel consumption, and better performance, though some argue the latter (well latter 2)

Still an interesting article may change a few views as to why higher octane is worth the extra

http://issuu.com/magazineproduction/docs/seb_issue_31_ezine/5?e=1127854/6434665

fzr-paul likes this.
  2. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

I keep meaning to do things scientifically but I know for a fact that my mileage is better with the high octane fuel, can't tell any difference with performance.

3. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Very interesting. I hate the ethanol content. It is causing hell with my TZR carbs. Loads of my other classic 2t owning mates are noticing issues as we just don't use our bikes regularly. I think in the TZR I am going to stick to the super fuels now.

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Australia has had E10 Fuel (Ethanol 10%) as an option for quite a few years now. I used to use it in my car and on my bike. E10 fuel was cheaper out there, but you definitely got less mileage. The big concern over there was initially manufacturers would not confirm E10 suitability and skirted around warranty issues, but a few stepped up and said modern ecu's can deal with it and it wouldn't affect car warranties.

Didn't notice any real difference on power with respect to driving (had an RS4) or on the bike (XVS650 / CBR600RR)…and didn't have any engine issues either...

Ethanol out there was another way of subsidising the agricultural community…maybe also helping the green community…but that is always another debate...

_Yappa_ likes this.
  5. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

Most rides WILL NOT use anything other than E10 and will drive out of their way for up to an hour to get a place that has it. They all swear by the improved performance and cleaner internal engine blah blah. Obviously I'm really converted lol :p