1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Cleaning My Chain

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by snail1552, Mar 10, 2014.

1. snail1552

snail1552 Twist N Go +

So I was looking how to clean my chain, and I came across a method of coating my chain with wd40 and which breaks down the grease then cutting a bath towl in half then using 1 half to clean the chain then using the other half to dry clean, then lube it up any truth in this?
    Thanks snail

2. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

what's wrong with using a washing machine or dishwasher??? :rolleyes:

only joking!!!!

pedrocbf likes this.
  3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

yes it works but do it while the chain is still warm after a ride and once dry make sure you coat it in lube.

oh and don't do it with the engine running

4. snail1552

snail1552 Twist N Go +

Ok sweet, thanks.

5. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

ooo chain cleaning and maintance is something ive managed to become an expert in recently haha, just shell out get some muc off chain cleaner and lube, its about 16 quid for both from halfords, warm the chain up (excuse for a ride) then librally coat the chain in cleaner, i found a toothbrush works well or buy a chain cleaning brush off ebay for about 4 quid. and scrub the litthe fecker. rinse with clean cold (not warm) water and reapply cleaner and repeat untill shiney, then dry off with a nice non fluffy towel (tea towel works well) and applie lube (insert childish giggle here) and away you go bud. alternatively swing by my place one saturday ill be happy to help you clean it bud :) im only down the road in ashford :)

rbl10 and snail1552 like this.
  6. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

hmmm time to open a debate...many moons ago i heard wd40 was actually harmful to rubber over a period of time assuming this to be true would it not be detrimental to the health of the rubber o rings in your chain and thus shorten its life thereby counter acting the requirement to carry out maintenance in the first instance?

but i found this argument going on elsewhere and although his test seems valid he doesnt then leave the ring in the open air for a period to see if that has a follow on reaction ....now dont get me wrong im NOT saying wd40 IS harmful im just putting forward an age old debate.
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/534631-does-wd40-hurt-o-rings-a-test/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Comus and rbl10 like this.
  7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

i like the fact someone tested it :thumbsup: but your right it needs more testing like heat cycles too :fume::fume:

i think cleaning your chain with something that can fully remove the grease such as wd40 and then drying and recoated in lube has no negative effects on the chain life.

maybe way back when in the days of chains made out of leather but things have moved on :thumbsup: Natural rubber used to dislike most solvent based cleaners including petrol. Things

8. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

My friend uses WD and swears by it and had no problems yet, myself however im a little more edgy then most and i figure id rather plump up the dough for the proper jobbie :)

rbl10 likes this.
  9. snail1552

snail1552 Twist N Go +

Im going to try a method friday as my paddock stand arrived today, not sure which one though, either way its getting cleaned. Thanks everyone for the advice

10. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Having read of your recent adventure can I suggest one of these?
    [​IMG]

Okay, on a more serious note I use a combination of paraffin, water and a toothbrush. Gets it very shiny and clean. Then I cover it in fresh chain lube. Messy job but works for me.

11. snail1552

snail1552 Twist N Go +

I love this forum.
    Actually laughed so hard

fzr-paul likes this.
  12. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I wouldn,t use a toothbrush on an o ring chain, just use a soft brush/paintbrush. Don,t waste money on nuc off etc., use neat paraffin to remove all grease and crud. Finish off with a terry towel soaked in brake cleaner to get the chain completely dry. I then use mucoff ptfe dry lube on the rollers and the o rings. Had over 25,000 miles outta my last did chain.

13. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

i too use paraffin on my chain with a brush though cos its can get into the nooks and crannies. it doesnt break down the rubber in the o ring either you can buy 5 litres of the stuff and it lasts for years. good quality lube is important. i like the castrol stuff myself but its each to their own

14. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

Just as an aside "where" do you now buy paraffin from? I used to buy it from a good old service station or ironmongers shop!!! remember those :think1:
    where now???? :doh:

15. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

B&Q sell it in 5ltr containers. That is where I got my last lot. Normally in the gardening section.

16. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

Cheers Paul

17. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

That'll be right buying stuff for your Honda in the gardening section! :moon:

fzr-paul and snail1552 like this.
  18. snail1552

snail1552 Twist N Go +

Hahah yeah seems a vaild point to me :hah:

phil read likes this.
  19. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Pfffft, and this was all I could find when googling Triumphs latest stuff :hah:
    [​IMG]

lammyR6 and phil read like this.
  20. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

No don't like them, they've A Honda look about them " Pants "