1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Baffling !

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by pedrocbf, Mar 21, 2014.

1. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

Moggie Paul, do you remember when my Bandit randomly backfired right next to two lads in Tenterden one dived to the ground and the other started running up the road, I did think about going back to apologise, but thought better of it he he :hah::hah:

2. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

i did say ALMOST 100%

3. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Am I the exception who proved the rule?

Ps what does that mean?

4. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

When I bought my STR from new, I ordered the Arrow Low boy, that was on the triumph accessory web site, and offered by dealer, they supplied, fitted it, as new on the invoice, insured the bike via triumph 7 day insurance plan, but alas the low boy had stamped on it "Not for road use" maybe that stamp does not apply to all countries, I certainly had no issues with it.

5. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

i think you can buy just the baffle itself from ebay and the likes, my mate has just bought a bike from a dealer with an arrow can on i asked him where the baffle was and he said he wasnt given it. for those pipes that are marked "not for road use" you can if youre very careful polish the lettering out. i think it depends on the testing staion that you go whether they want to pass it. the one i use doesnt allow for small number plates or the rear reflector missing, he says that he has problems with the police parking up at the bottom of the road and sometimes checking vehicles as they come out after the test. i remember years ago getting pulled over coming out of brighton and the police checking the bikes over and i remembered i had a can on with the marking not for, i made sure i stood with my leg on the can to cover that bit as he was looking.

6. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

it means your driver was deaf as well as blind mate.....

Panel Man, kitten_art and BlackHornet like this.
  7. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

i had a tug on a bandit 1200 once with an unbaffled, chopped down stubby art can for doing lets say a tad more speed than i should have been doing ....all was good and he was a decent officer who was just wanting to point out my error in the speed limits of that particular road, i was comfortable talking to him until his colleague started peering down the end of the can...at which point a incident came up over the radio and they gave me the nod and the wink to slow it down a tad and were on their way.......phew

8. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

only reason i ask is that although yes it is only a 125 little cbf commuter its bloody noisey, tested this theory agaisnt my friends yzfr125 with a unbaffled arapovic pipe, and my other friends 1300 sportster harley .. both of which were quickly drowned out 0.0 .. well loud pipe it is then haha. Cheers one and all :)

9. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

I didn't know Harley did a 1300 Sportster. Is it standard?
    Anyway, I digress. Back to the thread. I have Triumph pipes, but they are stamped "not for road use". I am hoping, as they look the same as the standard stubby pipes, that I will get away with smiling sweetly and saying nothing, should I ever get stopped.

My Sportster used to pass the MOT with just an advisory note for the pipe. I had a Vance and Hines two into one on it and that sounded AWESOME!!, but when Acessengineer had his own workshop we had a nice little income from hiring sets of standard Harley pipes, fitted for the MOT, and then the customer's own pipes re-fitted afterwards.

10. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I love the sound of your bike Emma with the new pipes, sounds just right.

phil read and Beelady like this.
  11. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

Paul are you positive it was the bike, Emma did have A curry at Lydden the other day.:hgiggle:

Beelady likes this.
  12. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

I havent a clue if im honest, its just what he has told me haha, its certainly had alot of exterior mods done so it wouldnt surprise me :p

Beelady likes this.
  13. Comus

Comus Learner

I run a standard can on my Suzuki RF600 but since I correctly oiled the K&N air filter it has developed a very nice throaty roar when I accelerate... otherwise its not that loud..which is fine by me as I have no desire to attract the attention of the Rozzers
    what with all the speed cameras in East Sussex to contend with...more police hassle..i can do without:OK: