1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Ive Been A Bellend (again)

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by pedrocbf, Apr 1, 2014.

1. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Yup as the title of this thread suggests ive been a numpty ... apon tightening a bolt connecting my gear lever to the hanger i have overtightend and snapped the bolt off .. leaving half the bolt inside the hanger and the other half lost forever in some undergrowth :(
    New hanger ordered of ebay today for 20 quid tho that was a touch more reasonable then the 85 quid honda offered me... fitting however i just wanted to check am i going to be right in thinking that its going to be a simple case of unscrew one big bolt and remove old have replace hanger and retighten bolt ? :)
    Thankies in advance :)
    Dumbarse pedro :)

2. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Why not remove the broken bolt?
    (and Lidl's are selling a Torque Wrench at £16?/£18)

pedrocbf and BlackHornet like this.
  3. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Best you get yer arse down to my place before you brake anything else? Getit?

jack_bm likes this.
  4. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

haha. noted and noted again :) .. I would replace the bolt but its snapped half in half out and i herd drilling the bolt out can be dodgy .. im not the best at repairs (can u tell :) ) haha!

5. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Mole grips. Just sayin'...

kitten_art and Sporty1200 like this.
  6. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

drilling out can be a pain but its not a massive job tbh, the important bit is getting the hole started in the middle. you can then get a set (toolstation, screwfix) that has a reverse twist use this on the broken part and it comes out. i know this as i had to do it on my top yoke when i fitted the new bars to mine as them at yamaha used snap off bolts to keep the ignition in the top yoke

7. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

Just looked at the wife's cbf and the gear lever bolt goes right through the hanger, if you try and drill it out do it from the back, because the end of the bolt will be flat and it will be easier to drill it in the centre. Also drilling it that way the bolt will sometimes unscrew it's self as it heats up

pedrocbf likes this.
  8. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Cheers phil, i did notice that its welded over on the back and that might have been a easier route, still new hanger is on route as we speak so its gonna be a saturday morning jobbie :D

9. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

It's worth gelling the other one sorted for a spare.

pedrocbf likes this.
  10. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

yeah i did think of that as a option, plus if i fuck it up its not a massive issue :)