1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

(2000) R6 Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Perry, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Perry

Perry Learner

Hi all, I was out riding on Monday and rode to 1066 cafe turned bike of had a cuppa, then I got back on my bike it struggled to start eventually it started... I rode of on way to rye I noticed my gauges were all off so I turned my lights off and the gauges came back on so I instantly knew there was a power problem, pulled over further down the road turn it off try starting flat battery.. So jump started it to get back to Alan Wards... Had a little look about and noticed the connection block to the regulator/rectifier looked burnt. So I managed to get it home to which I turned off and it started then two days later I turn it on and started it with no problems.... Is there any common faults which occur with the wiring going to the reg/rec which cause the connecting block to fry? I think it's safe to say if my battery started the bike two days later then it's holding it's charge fine?! I have read that the reg/rec or the burnt out wires is more common than not? But what are the chances of it being the stator rather than a more simple rewire or new reg/rec?

Any help welcome

Thanks in advance

2. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

remove the connector and personally id solder the joints and heat shrink them. also check for loose earths to the engine and frame.

deano81 and Perry like this.
  3. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

quite a few amps go through the connector from the stator so any amount of corrosion ups the resistance and things heats up. as carnage suggested much better to put in a solid connection rather than another connector which may crud up in the future. as mentioned uual checks for loose earth straps to frame and engine, also see if the mounting points themselves aren't corroded to hell, if they are give em a clean up with some emery . have you got a multimeter? worth checking the resistance on the reg/rec to make sure its all in range and not shot, same with the stator and also check the ac output of the stator when running.

4. Perry

Perry Learner

Getting complicated now lol. Do I use a multimeter whilst running and would I test it on the voltage coming out of the reg/rec. which wires are carrying voltage to the battery the red/black or the other 3 wires? Where is the wires from the stator going to? Sorry about all the questions but I don't want to keep taking bike apart. Say for instance I put the multimeter on the actual wires that plug into the reg/rec and they show the correct voltage would it be acceptable to say it's probably the plug as apposed to a faulty reg/rec of all contacts are shot because it looked burnt the plug... Sorry again thanks for your help

5. deano81

ok, so ive spent a day repairing power supplies for tvs and monitors so the brains shot im afraid, but the basic breakdown is thus... the stator has 3 wires , bunch of magnets spin round some coiled wire, this creates AC electricity, varies from bike to bike but usually in the region of 70 volts or so dependant on rpm etc.. this then get changed by the rectifier unit into DC , and then the regulator drops the voltage down to anywhere from 13.5 to 14 ish to charge the battery and power the bike etc... you can test all the parts both with the bike not running and with it to identify the issues. It would take me ages to type up the method so I will have a quick look and try and find a decent howto online and link it, that way you can read it at your leisure ... if you have the repair manual for the bike it should give you the readings for testing the resistance of the reg rec connections whilst off, and obv when running you check for ac voltage on the stator wires and the 14v coming from the reg/rec .. I have numerous multimeters and test equipment if you wanted to borrow but your prob a tad far away to just nip over lol .

6. deano81

turns out theres quite a few vid on youtube explaining it just search for testing stator/generator on bike and testing rectifier/regulator or similar terminology

BlackHornet likes this.
  7. Perry

Perry Learner

Thanks for you help I will have a look and see what comes of it thanks again

8. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

do NOT rely on voltage outputs alone from the stator ....its not been unknown for them to give the correct voltages yet fry reg/recs .....Always make sure you check the resistances listed in a manual , have a friend who fried 4 reg / recs because he took the voltage readings as an indication all was well with his stator windings and only found the cause after testing the resistance readings between his windings......gets costly .