1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Looking For The Quiet Life In The Lid

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Kevlar 11, May 31, 2015.

1. Kevlar 11

Kevlar 11 Learner

Any reviews / comments on a good lid that doesn't render you deaf over 40mph.
    Just bought a Caberg V2R. Very disappointed. Noise is chronic over 50, 90 + is just unbearable.
    So am now looking for a new one. Shame to chuck 160 in the bin, but needs must. I suppose you get what you pay for.
    Need some feed back on something that you can hear yourself think at reasonable cruising speeds.
    Don't mind spending about 300 to 350. tried a few on but a reluctant to spend without some knowledge.
    Tank you

2. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

I ride with a Shoei XR1100 Kev and cannot fault it, Leila uses the newer GT Air and I believe she like it.. Leila?... Sporty rides with a Nexx lid and says it very quiet, I think the main thing is to get the fit correct.

3. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Tony is right. Absolutely loving my Shoei. Fits like a glove and is very quiet. I also use the AGV horizon, which i like, but it is noticeably noisier.

4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Is the caberg lid you have a flip front? As they are always on the noisy side

5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Also Aerodynamics make a huge difference to a helmet, as what air goes around the lid from the bike, also what bike you ride can make a huge difference too, a quiet helmet for one person can be noisy for a different size person.

I found Helmets a nightmare to find one that suits one person, that can be terrible for another, and what makes it worse you never really know how good they are till after you have bought them.

Do you wear Ear Plugs?

6. Kevlar 11

Kevlar 11 Learner

Its a full face.
    The fit is OK, not perfect. Next size down was too tight. I wear a balaclava for a slightly tighter fit and don't use plugs, as I want to get a comms system. (that's another discussion. Looking at U Clear but cant find a UK distributor)
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Maybe I should not be such a tight ass and up the budget. (but the pounds are so hard to earn).

7. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Kevin just because you spend loads more does not mean it will solve your problem to an acceptable level for money spent. Ear Plugs do make a huge difference.

8. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Agree about price. Cheaper can be quiet too, however for me, it seems that Shoei is one that fits me the best. Then again, saying that, I have two HJC helmets (track use) and one is pretty quiet while the other is super noisy. Not necessarily the brands that makes the difference - it can be the same brand but different models! Despite the quiet of the Shoei I still wear earplugs as well, Ear Peace or (to be tested) the Mercury ones.

9. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Another fan of some sort of ear protection. I don`t like the usual style of earplugs as they make my head feel weird so I wear earbuds that came free with one of my old phones. Can still hear whats going on around you but do cut down on the noise too. Have you thought about exchanging the lining for a thicker one rather than changing the whole helmet?

As for comms, I`ve just fitted an Autocom Logic system to my bike & I can say that provided you get the speaker placement right (centre of speaker lined up correctly with your ear canal) you will be able to hear it perfectly well even with proper plugs in. Alternatively, you can do what I did & swap out the headsets for ones which you can plug your earbud speakers into

10. Kevlar 11

Kevlar 11 Learner

Thanks for that, I think I'll go for the plugs and keep the lid. See how it goes. Nice one.