1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Small Spaces

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Eileen, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

So I have finally got my bike to my house but I'm keeping it in the back garden and there's not much space for turning. I was looking at motorbike dollys (I only have a side stand) - has anyone used one of these and is it suitable/ easy to use for what I want??

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

They do work but you can spin the bike on the side stand without one

I think it was lammy I first saw do this and she is 5 foot nothing

Eileen likes this.
  3. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Wow! I shall give this ago!

BlackHornet likes this.
  4. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

Do it with someone else helping first of all as you don't want to drop your lovely bike...

Eileen likes this.
  5. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I have had to turn my bike like this a few times. Saved me pushing it round! I guess the only concern is that if it is a very regular occurrence you could be weakening the side stand. Definitely have someone there for the first go, just in case :)

6. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Yeah that is the worry, if I'm doing it every day is it going to make my side stand break eventually??

7. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I didn't ever test mine to that extent. I did use it to turn the R6 quite often over a number of years but it wasn't a daily occurrence.

8. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Ok thanks, I think I might get a dolly as don't want to break my side stand!

9. BlackHornet

i think it would be pretty rare to break a side stand, most will happily take the weight of a bike plus someone sitting on it, or hold the bike up in high winds etc

unless you have a ducati.

But on a light bike like the MT125 it should be fine for a good few hundred turns. I used the same technique to move around my two bikes depending on which one was coming out to play for a couple of years like that. That was weekends only but i guess it would have added up to 100 plus times. If a dolly is cheap enough it won't hurt to get it just make sure you buy one that will cope with the next bike.

10. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Thanks guys, I will do some more research into dollys... Just had bike serviced and dealer said I'd be better off with a dolly as whilst the side stand prob wouldn't break I may struggle to turn it like that

11. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

And yeah I'll make sure if I get a dolly it'll take my next bike :)

BlackHornet likes this.
  12. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

just my 2 pence worth.... dollys really only work if you have a relatively smooth surface as generally their wheels are small. :barefoot:

Eileen and phil read like this.
  13. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

This is very true - the wheels are just too small and unless the surface is very smooth and swept clean a dolly just gets stuck. There are some stands that allow you to turn the bike 180 degrees, with no wheels, they are for bikes with a centre stand - but it doesn't take much to fit a small extension for a side stand

14. BlackHornet

there is always the brave / stupid way too

Eileen likes this.
  15. lisa lou

lisa lou Race Rep +

I neither have the strength or bravery to try and turn on side stand again, I was terrified of dropping it so I put up with paddling it forwards and back till the jobs done or paddle reversing it in to small space first

Eileen likes this.
  16. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

Don't try it with KTM sidestands. They're renowned for shearing off the bolt

[​IMG]

Eileen likes this.
  17. Rosie

Rosie Sport Tourer +

Let me know how you get on please. I'm right side dominant and my foot is weak permanently on the lateral side due to an accident so this might be an option for me.

18. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

After lots of research and reading reviews and comments from you guys I don't think a dolly is going to work unless I can get a few giant slabs to put down... However, my landlord was quite happy to come and do some work in the garden to clear so space and make it flatter :) so I can now just about turn by doing a 10 or so point turn but it's better than not being able to ride!!! Thanks all for the advice :)