1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Restricted? No. 'L' Plates? No.

Discussion in 'Beginners Bikes' started by Jim, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

My latest acquisition and my knowledge of Motorcycle Training permits me to posts on here I reckon!
    I have just 'inherited' a Suzuki GS 500 E 1997, a much maligned and perhaps, misunderstood machine, it's as boring as hell to look out and one of the top of the list of considerations I have whenever I'm looking at purchasing a new bike is No1. Do I like the look of it? Having said that this one was free, subsequently I liked the look of it a lot!
    I reckon I know quite a bit about being a learner, after all I was one once!
    I've been a DAS and CBT Instructor since 1996 and the main Learner machines the schools I have worked for have been:
    Honda MT5 (50cc) Actually great fun to pull wheelies on!
    Yamaha SR125 First bike I got my knee down on and proved to be a blast for this sport on the training area when the students had all gone home.
    Honda CG 125 I passed my test on this as well.
    Suzuki GS 500 never really liked these but they were great for training and pretty bomb proof.
    Kawasaki ER5. Nuff said, Not a great fan of any Kwaks I'm afraid!

Back in the early days I spent 3 years working full time for a company called CSM, older riders especially from the 80s and 90s may remember this school as they held a monopoly on a National basis for bike training, I worked at Chelmsford, Romford, Medway Branches and the odd day at Norwich!
    This was where I really started getting to ride a variety of bikes some of these included some diverse beasts as Instructor bikes, such as:
    Triumph Trident 750cc all panniered up, what a fecking huge lump!
    MZ Scorpion Sport, a big single which I liked but it was a bit cheap and nasty.
    Honda Dominator, loved this one.
    Kawasaki GT500, YUK!
    BMW F650, another good'un
    Honda CB500, a true classic and boy did these things go on and on!

Well that's my history of Learners and restricted bikes, I have very many storys of mishaps and near misses which I would be happy to recount on request or as time goes by, maybe I'll write a book one day?
    As a 'very' part time Instructor these days, I don't do very much due to work, family and a recent heavy decline in the number of new students coming in to bikes, although my current Training school seem to have picked up a bit this year. I currently hold Instructor tickets with Mid Kent Motorcycles and Dexterity but have worked for CSN in Medway, 1066 in Hastings and 1-2-1 in Medway.
    I reckon I'm as well qualified to talk about smaller bikes, learning etc etc as anyone, so thought I'd be the first to post in this new section. What we (as a club) need to do now is encourage L plated riders to populate it! I for one will give a friendly nod or a wave to a Learner as I still have fond memories of all my time spent as one and with them, it was a very rewarding job and there's nothing like the enthusiasm of a newbie in any sport or past time!
    So my message to you 'hardened long in the tooth' bikers out there is forget your pride and why not suprise the next Learner you see with friendly wave or nod? If you're parked up and you see an L plater next to you try having a quick chat, you'll be delighted at their keeness and no doubt they'll be delighted YOU took the time to acknowledge their wheels!
    Jim:MC:

lisa lou, jack_bm, _Yappa_ and 6 others like this.
  2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Amen to that, I'm always happy to wave/nod to an L plater I pass on the road! :thumbsup:

ScottieB27, Sporty1200 and Jim like this.
  3. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Agree whole heartedly...I remember how excited I was when I got my first nod or wave :). We were all Learners once...I was daunted by riding/talking to bigger bike owners...but at the end of the day nearly everyone I talked to was accommodating, pleasant and excited for me and my wheels.

ShootBob and Roadwart like this.
  4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I will also nod at learners who show an effort. i.e. Wear decent kit & ride sensibly. What I can`t abide is scooter riders on "Plates" who just tear @rse about at full bore everywhere & expect every other road user to work around them.

What you said is right though Jim, if we take the time to talk & acknowledge them maybe we can stop them becoming the people I just mentioned.

Biscuit and Jayjay like this.
  5. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Have to admit I do struggle with a lot of the 16 yr olds on the scooters, they're not in to bikes just being 16 and annoying, but I am a grumpy old git and they're not ALL bad!;)

pedrocbf and Yoda like this.
  6. Roadwart

Oh I agree Jim. There are some who are on scooters PURELY as a way of getting round before being able to learn to drive a car & will probably never go near 2 wheels again. There are also others who will learn to drive but will probably have a pair of wheels in the garage for fun, much like a lot of us on here. Even so, if we can save them a broken leg or worse, the efforts worth it.

Sporty1200 likes this.
  7. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Indeedy, however, Im nice to L-platers on bikes and not scooters because I HATE scooters and very few make the transition to bikes. Is that ok, oh Great Oracle? :D

I learnt with CSM! Shit, does that mean Im long in the tooth???

8. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Jim, you're lucky my coffee was too hot to drink. Because that was a long ass post getting to it's point! :D

I agree, I'm just needing more coffee now ;) :thumbsup:

R1 Chickie likes this.
  9. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

I think we have to be careful not to alienate anyone because of our own prejudices or age.. A fundamental principle of education is to build a relationship, open a dialogue and build trust with a student regardless of age, clothing, attitude or mode of transport.. My Fs1E was every bit as anoying as a scoot, so was i for that matter.. eh, wassat, things havnt changed... :eek:

10. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Sure they have man, don't be hard on yourself... Now you can irritate the p*ss out of people for miles around instead of a few meters, that's progress!
    :ron1:

Jim, R1 Chickie, Hanna and 1 other person like this.
  11. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

No its just means your old...:scared:

12. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Kumbaya! Hug a Scootie today! (Id still rather kick them over :devil: :D)

chelskitel, Jim and Sporty1200 like this.
  13. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Doesnt matter how old I am, you will still always be older :p

14. ScottieB27

ScottieB27 Street Fighter +

Please don't include the one about the guy who tipped over outside the test centre... :giggle:

Jim likes this.
  15. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

In my stable of, oh, about 30 bikes, which I will acquire as soon as those accursed numbers come up, I'd include a scooter. I like the classic style one's and had a blast riding my son's more modern 50cc. It's all good!

16. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Lol, forgot Scottie was 'one of mine!'
    Tanya.....................yes.;)

17. Roadwart

I just hope that happened before the test started or after it finished :D

18. Les

Les British Superbike +

I once even got a return nod from a cruiser rider. Obviously he must've let his guard slip or wasn't using ALL his concentration to look moody.

Jim and Sporty1200 like this.
  19. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

OI I resemble that remark, and to be honest it really pisses me off when I'm on the cruiser that the snotty buggers on sports bikes blank me. WTF is the problem, I have two wheels and an engine, whichever bike I'm on.:sfight:

Roadwart likes this.
  20. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

Brats on scooters (and there's plenty off them in Brighton; all probably uninsured and untaxed and hotwired) ...... eat my exhaust fumes!!!!:giggle:

Though one did beat me off the lights once; I wasn't concentrating. Well that's my excuse anyway. Truth be known, I stalled it :red:

Can't slag them off too much though as my sister has a Piaggio 250 that's bigger than my bike.