1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tap and Die set

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by hoppielimp, Aug 30, 2011.

1. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Hi, does anyone have a tap & die set I cold borrow ?

I bought a centre stand over the internet, but the receiving 'end' of the locking bolt isn't tapped all the way through :mad:

The bolt is about 12 or 13 mm...not exactly sure...

Any thread makers out there ? :whistle:

2. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Haven't got a set, got M6 and M8 though. You looking for M12?

3. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Is that not "by design". Reason being; you do the bolt up tight and it locks to the end of the thread, If it was tapped all the way the bolt would lock the stand!!

4. megawatt

Good point Rob. Did you sort the Blade problems???

5. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

No its at a place in Eastbourne , the alternator & rectifier are away for testing latest thoughts are one or both are failing when hot.
    (P.S.It spent time in the HM Plant garage at the Brands BSB meet and it foxed them!)

6. hoppielimp

Its not the point of attachment. Its the locking bolt of the width adjusters...

7. hoppielimp

I think its M12 Alan, because M14 looks too big and I don't think M13 is that common...:confused: although without a proper gauge..can't be 100% sure.

8. megawatt

Tagg racing have a brand new set of taps, used an M20 this pm?

9. hoppielimp

Might just buy a file and file off about 10mm of thread...that should allow the bottom of the bolt to penetrate through to the slider, which controls the width...or I might not bother at all...I don't think its that important as long as I don't jiggle the bike around too much...its just annoying about quality control and how things should work......... and when they don't :mad:

Thanks anyway.

10. megawatt

I have extended threads in the past with a bolt thread with cuts in it to make it like a tap, bit of lube n it usually works. Depends how hard the metal you're tapping into is!

11. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

I would be inclined to offer it up and try to fit it first, If it's OEM I would be surprised if it a manufacturing error, if its aftermarket manufactured then anything is possible

12. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I have a tap and die set, not the best quality kit but would do the job, I'll check what sizes it goes up too later and let you know. :thumbsup:

13. hoppielimp

Thanks Chris...just ordered some off Amazon as it didn't seem like anyone had any :( but now I will have a set of just Taps and corresponding Drill sizes.
    Also front end lifter, I have one now, but only unique to the K and the F800... also got a cheap 22mm spindle hex key :)

Just wanted to get the front tyre replaced before Lydden...its going to be somewhat different to the Nurburgring ;)

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

15. hoppielimp

yup thats the one...it good as you can use a socket or 3/8" driver on it :)