1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

The small(er) bikes

Discussion in 'Beginners Bikes' started by Darkzy, Sep 25, 2011.

1. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

That's Alan, Dive ;)

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Keep trying Emma. We have enough people here willing to help out & as for speed, I`m happy to ride along at a sedate pace so they don`t have to worry about being left behind. Maybe you & I should organise a local one for them so they get used to riding en mass?

Emma - 125cc Marauder and Jim like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

The great thing is Emma, that this group has sooooo many members that there is something for everyone! If I want to go out on the SV for a 'blast' I can, if I want to go mental, I can hang out with Tom ;), If I want to go out for a slow ride I know that if I post on here then people who reply will genuinely be OK if it IS a slow ride. So dive in and tell your mate to, we'd love to see some smaller bikes in the membership because they will be the big bike owners in the not too distant future!

RetryRider, Choco and Roadwart like this.
  4. Roadwart

Couldn`t agree more Jim. "From little acorns the mighty oak grows"

Choco likes this.
  5. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Geez this is nice to see. :) I mean that, genuinely. Some support and encouragement for the little bikers is a lovely thing.

6. megawatt

You said you wouldn't tell anyone Finchy.
    I am often available midweek if any newbies wanna go for a ride , for an hour or all afternoon. Just post on here and ask? If any newbies (or oldies) need any help with maintenance and/or repairs, just ask. But you will have to buy coffee, I don't willingly buy coffee!!!:eek:

7. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Some of us 'longer in the tooth' riders are genuinely concerned about the future of biking with the costs and new legislations further isolating us as a minority group and dettering newbies, especially younger ones, so I, for one, always do everything I can to offer support and encouragement. When I meet them, when I'm on the Firebike, they are ALWAYS open for a chat and keen to listen and talk, better than some of the Grumpy, know-it-all gits I get to meet who when you delve a bit deeper are often newbies themselves, they're just good at the 'pub talk!' :)

8. Roadwart

Although I used to ride mopeds as a teenager, I`ve only been back on 2 wheels just over 2 years so I am in no way an expert. However, if anyone shows an interest in bikes & will offer them any support I can as, unlike me, I don`t want them to miss out on potentially years of enjoyment.

When I first met Emma & Simon, it was because they had parked behind my bike & came over to let me out. Simon asked about my bike & we got chatting. From that, Emma is now a member here & has already been on a run out with Megawatt. I`m very tempted to organise an "Open" ride out that Emma can invite her non-member friends to come to ride & chat to some members here. We have plenty of people here, old & new who can offer advice on different bikes & also share riding & training experiences with.

Hanna and BlackHornet like this.
  9. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I think thats a great idea...talk is cheap...more action is needed...:cpult:

10. Roadwart

OK I`ll start a new thread & see who`s interested. :thumbsup:

11. megawatt

I'll give you all the support I can Paul. Would be nice to see em(ma) at Blueboys in November.

12. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Well, I can't say I'm all that young, but people tend to think I am, so I'm going to stick with that for now. ;)

And I think you hit it right on the head: the grumpy, know-it-all gits. They are such a buzzkills. And the thing is, I'm not even one of the ones who rides like an idiot. I ride with self-preservation in mind because I want to keep riding for a long time because it's too much fun.

A few weeks ago I went out to Henley with a couple of other girls. No one was going 100+ miles an hour, but we had a great time. Some beautiful roads, blue skies, red kites, cows, sheep, horses in glorious green fields - it was gorgeous. Maybe I'm just too chilled out for my own good.

The open ride sounds like a great idea. When there's no pressure to be Rossi; just a good day out on two wheels. :)

Hanna and Darkzy like this.
  13. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Nicely put, Choco. Talking to a friend a while ago (another that 'couldn't believe I'd want to get back on a bike') I likened biking to religion, at risk of sounding like a loon said that I could understand in a way the zealots that you read about in the news who in some cases sacrifice themselves for their belief but it was the exact way I feel about biking.
    There really is no argument or point of view, no fact or information that will shake my faith in riding a bike!
    I would love to be able to enthuse people with just a glimmer of the passion I have for biking, so they could see quite how amazing it really can be. To make all the pub heroes realise that it's not what you ride, but THAT you ride and the cheek aching, bug catching grin it causes that matters.

As for ride out speed, I think I've only topped 100 once and that was chasing Hanna (damn Busa's), for the most part it's barely national... depending on the bend ;)

If there's a more sedate ride out and I can attend (subject to the usual perculiar requirements) I'm sure I can find a way to entertain myself at lower speed :D

14. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

And that's what I think too many people forget - "not what you ride, but THAT you ride". What's the stat? Motorcyclists make up less than 2% of the traffic population? It's not like everyone is doing it. I feel like telling the buzzkills "Relax, you're special, don't worry."

I find some of the attitudes utterly bizarre - but then, I do tend to think that humans in general are utterly bizarre.

The one that cracks me up the most is debates on The Authenticity of The Biker. That is, those conversations which contain the phrase "You're not a real biker unless..."

I didn't realise there were rules to "being a biker" apart from the road rules and unwritten standards of etiquette. It's hilarious because what they don't realise is that kind of talk is more about them proving to themselves that THEY are a "real biker", rather than someone else proving they're a real biker (whatever that means).

15. wijames

wijames Twist N Go +

im on a 125cc yamaha scooter, and would be happy to come along with this :) can get upto 63mph ish so "legally" i can do most roads

16. Roadwart

Don`t worry about keeping up. You will NOT be left behind especially as Emma knows some 50cc riders who she is trying to get to come along to this.

17. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Anyway, I get lost traditionally, so although I might pass you, I am likely to be passing you several times having gone wrong somewhere. And you are almost bound to get to the destination before me having done far less mileage :red:. Worry not, mes amies!

18. Emma - 125cc Marauder

Emma - 125cc Marauder Off Roader +

I will finelly tune my bike to get the best out of it before the ridout, ryans (who you met that day paul) is coming and also my mate andrew, am doing my rounds on sunday to see who else is up for it

19. Roadwart

Excellent! BTW I thought that was Simon, not Ryan. Note to self, get ears tested ;)

20. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Now there's something I might be able to help with! :rubhands: